BROOMWOOD COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION

 

MINUTES OF MEETING HELD ON 19TH MAY 2003

 

Paul Huxley opened the meeting at 6.40 p.m. 

In attendance: Cllr Ray Bowker, Cllr Jane Brophy, Marie Toboni (TMBC) Veta Gordon (IVHA), Jack Coutts (IVHA),     P.C. Gerrard (GMP),     11 residents. 

ITEM ONE – APOLOGIES

 Apologies were received from Cllr Tony Fishwick, Alan Bailey, Peta Stevens, Vincent Walsh.

 ITEMS TWO AND THREE – will be dealt with later in the meeting.

 ITEM FOUR – KENTMERE ROAD DEVELOPMENT PETITION 

Kath Warrington brought in several filled sheets of signatures. Others who had taken them were not at this meeting.  More forms are available if people wish to help collect signatures; we need to submit the petition within 2 weeks. 

Fencing has gone up on this site, and we have been told that this apparently encroaches on land that is not part of the development.  Mary Eastwood (Friends of Brooks Drive) is looking into this with TMBC, and will keep us informed.  

A resident then raised the subject of the blocking of the right of way on the Rugby field off Ridgeway Road.  Gates were erected a while ago by Stockport County, as it is part of their lease that they have to protect the grounds.  However, a fence has now gone up which blocks the public footpath.

Ray Bowker will look into this.  Sale Sharks have taken over this land, and it may be the case that they are unaware that they cannot put a fence up.

At this stage, Paul Huxley introduced our new Councillor, Jane Brophy, to the meeting, and congratulated her on her success. 

ITE M FIVE – TRAFFORD IN BLOOM 

As part of Trafford in Bloom, we have been asked to nominate an area that we feel would be the best location to be planted with flowers.  After discussion it was decided that the green area at the corner of Mossfield Road and Aimson Road was a good location, and was also on the bus route, so would be seen by travellers too. Mary Eastwood has offered to help design the area and recommend plants etc. As all agreed the site, this will be forwarded to TMBC as the Association’s choice. 

ITEM SIX – BROOMWOOD VOICE 

The latest copy of the newsletter was handed out. The next issue is due out in approx 2 weeks, any suggestions for items to be included should be put forward ASAP, contact details are on the newsletter. 

ITEM SEVEN – YOUTH CENTRE WORK

The work seems to have been going on for a long time, with several jobs being done at the same time.  There has been a problem with flooding at the Youth Centre, but we do not know whether work is running to schedule or not. There are safety concerns as children are playing on the site in the evening and weekends. There is no security on the site, and there is open access from Keswick Road. PC Gerrard has removed children from the site. Residents have phoned the police to notify them of children on site, and the school have had a problem with scaffolding planks being used to gain access to the school field. Jack Coutts (IVHA) is unaware of these problems, but will look into this, as the site needs to be made secure before someone has an accident.  

ITEM EIGHT – BROOMWOOD PUB 

This item will be carried forward to the next meeting.

 

 ITEM NINE – BENCHES FROM SHOP DEVELOPMENT 

We were informed that the benches had been damaged when they were removed however; the Contractor has said that they are being stored in a yard. Jack Coutts said that there has been some confusion over these benches, and ours may be the ones that are being stored.  He will look into this and report back at the next meeting. 

ITEM TEN – AREA HOUSING PANEL REPORT

Phil Weatherby usually reports on this meeting, but he is not present tonight so this will be carried forward to the next meeting. 

ITEM ELEVEN – COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT WORKER REPORT

Vincent was unable to attend the meeting, but left copies of his report for distribution. The items on it were: Update on Healthy Living Report, Gym, Health Walks, Safer Cycling, Youth and Community Centre, www.broomwoodvoice.com  Gardening enterprises and Five a day (fruit and veg.)

ITEM TWO – MINUTES OF LAST MEETING 

The minutes of the previous meeting had now arrived and were distributed.  Kath Warrington agreed them as a correct record, seconded by Joe Statham. 

ITEM THREE – MATTERS ARISING FROM MINUTES 

Electricity cards – The Hardware shop are pursuing this issue with the electric company, hopefully we will soon have a machine on the Estate. 

Porches – the complaints were passed on to Housing, and all have been dealt with. The contractors do not hand the porches over to the Council until they have checked them. TMBC then ask residents if they are satisfied with the work.  Any problems with the porches should be referred to Housing immediately so they can be rectified.  

There is a problem with a flat in a block on Redbrook Road which has not had new windows put in. If the resident does not own their property then they should notify the Council to ensure they get the work done. 

At the last Management meeting the committee agreed that once the Management team have read the minutes of the meetings they should be e-mailed to various agencies. 

ITEM TWELVE – ANY OTHER BUSINESS

The recent tour of the Estate was a success, highlighting areas for improvement.  Marie Toboni said that lots of the items on the list provided by Grant McKenzie were highway issues, and it would be better for us to report highway and street light issues direct to those departments, as they are not housing issues.  Regarding disabled access; if there are areas where dropped pavements would benefit a number of residents, these will be looked into.  This work is expensive, and so dropped pavements cannot be dotted about the Estate in areas where only one person will benefit.  

This Friday there is a meeting between Councillors, Housing, and Highways inspectors, who will be touring the Estate looking at highway problems, particularly grass verges.  Ray Bowker will update us on this at the next meeting. 

Gareth, the Police Community Support Worker, has to finish a 3 month probation period before he can patrol the Estate on his own. With regard to the problem of dog muck on the Estate he will be able to issue on-the-spot fines to people who do not clear up after their dogs. 

Ray Bowker raised the problem of parking at the shops, and pointed out that having looked at the land between the pub and the shops it shouldn’t cost much to clean up and install a ramp to allow this area to be used for temporary parking. 

Jack Coutts will look into this adding that this is his first meeting so he is unaware of the discussions that we have had in the past with IVHA on this matter.  Jack reported that they did not get the Housing Corporation Funding for the development of flats and housing at the back of the shops, but are still pursuing this matter. He stated that it is a complicated process but they intend to pursue the issue as IVHA felt it was a good project and deserved reconsideration. 

We have been told that the environmental warden has now been police checked.  Marie will look into this and will find out what his job remit is, so we know what he should be doing.  We also want to know where he will be based so that he can be contacted; originally we were told he would have a base at the Youth Centre. Marie intended to raise this issue at the next Partnership Meeting. 

The meeting was closed at 7.30.

 

These Minutes were reformatted for BCA in HTML - 21st September 2003