ARCHIVE

Broomwood Voice

BROOMWOOD COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION MINUTES AND AGENDAS ARCHIVE: -
27th January 2003 - Public Meeting Minutes


BROOMWOOD COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION

MINUTES OF MEETING HELD ON 27 JANUARY 2003


Paul Huxley opened the meeting at 6.30 p.m.


ITEM ONE – APOLOGIES


Apologies were made on behalf of Ruth Speight, Veta Gordon, Graham Stringer and Dave Nunns.


ITEM TWO – MINUTES OF LAST MEETING


Ray Bowker asked that the minutes be amended to show that he was also involved in the presentation of the PCT Award Certificates. He then agreed the minutes to be a correct record, which was seconded by Kath Warrington.


ITEM THREE – MATTERS ARISING


Electricity Cards – Kath Yarwood has been in contact with Spar, and TXU Energi in relation to this. Our nearest outlets at present are Londis on Deansgate Lane and Shaftesbury Fayre on Shaftesbury Avenue. Spar are dragging their heels on whether to sell the cards. Tony Fishwick offered to chase this up, as it is unsatisfactory for the estate not to have easy access to electricity card outlets.

Redbrook Road grass verge – this is an item on the agenda for the next Area Board meeting.


ITEM FOUR – REPORT BY VINCENT WALSH


Vincent presented a copy of his report on the progress to date of the groups which were allocated funding recently (Copy attached)


ITEM FIVE – PROPOSED NEW PARK AND YOUTH CENTRE REFURBISHMENT


This is covered in the Broomwood Partnership minutes, which are item 7 on the agenda.


ITEM SIX – NEW NEWSLETTER


The newsletter – Broomwood Voice – has been delivered to households. It is hoped that this can be produced on a monthly basis. If anyone has any suggestions as to items that they would like to see in the newsletter please speak to Paul, there are contact details on the 1st edition of Broomwood Voice.


ITEM SEVEN – BROOMWOOD PARTNERSHIP MINUTES


The following items on these minutes were discussed:

Item 2 – update on the play area – this is still due to commence by the end of February 2003.

Item 3 – combining the partnership and BCA newsletter – it was felt that at this time we need our own voice and so the BCA decided at the recent management meeting that we would continue to produce a separate newsletter for the time being.

Item 5 – youth centre – the work is due to commence by the end of February.

Item six – Millom Court – the window locks have been installed, and fencing will be going up, this will be the type of fencing used around the Dee Avenue flats.

Item seven – action plan for the woods – Paul has a copy of this if anyone wants to see it. £5000 has been allocated for work on the hedging on Brooks Drive. We will discuss the other woodland areas at the next management meeting, with a view to discussing looking for funding for work on these woods.

Item ten – parking and grass verges. This will be discussed at the Area Board meeting, which is on Feb 4th at Broomwood School. It was mentioned that the gates onto the back field at Redbrook Road are being left open again. There was a discussion about the state of paths and kerbs, especially with reference to accessibility for wheelchairs and pushchairs. The question was raised as to whether there was European funding available to enable the disabled to have equal access, as at present there are areas which people in wheelchairs cannot get to. Tony Fishwick and Ray Bowker suggested that the way forward was to identify areas where there are people requiring disabled access, as money is limited and jobs get prioritised, so we need to be able to put a good case forward. As this issue is being raised at the next Area Board meeting, if anyone has any concerns they should try to attend this meeting. It was agreed that we would discuss this also at the next BCA management meeting.

Neighbourhood warden – he is on the estate part time at present (police check still not complete). If you know of any areas that need cleaning up please phone Trafford. One area of concern is the land on Redbrook Road where the portakabins are located. Contractors are cutting up the verge and also leaving a mess on the car park. Marie Toboni to bring this to the attention of the contractors concerned.

Aims and objectives of Broomwood Partnership – these will be formulated.


ITEM EIGHT – BCA MANAGEMENT MEETING


We held a meeting recently, and discussed the following items:

Noticeboards - One has been put inside the Chemists. One will go inside the school gate and one on Dee Avenue fencing.

Future meeting dates.

Help with housing benefit and council tax forms. At tonight’s meeting Marie Toboni said if anyone needs help filling these in they can take them to the Housing Office. This information will be included in the next newsletter.

Developing a website – we discussed setting up a website, funding for it, and what we thought should go on it. This will be discussed further when it is developed.

Main aims of BCA – we decided that the main aims at present should be:

1) Developing the youth centre as a community centre
2) Development of the park so that we do not lose this facility
3) Supporting the G-Force application for the Scout Hut acquisition


ITEM NINE – DEVELOPMENT AROUND THE SHOPS


Plans have been redrawn and are being shown to the doctor’s surgery. Dave Cooper is to be invited to present them to us at the next management and BCA meetings. The plans have changed due to the storm drain. It is proposed that the Health Centre will be closer to the pub, and that there will be more parking on Mainwood Road. They are also considering demolishing the flats above the old post office/hairdressers, and the archway.


ITEM TEN – AREA HOUSING PANEL REPORT


Phil Wetherby reported back on the last meeting. Discussions were held on:

Monitoring of Gas Contracts
Tenant Repair Group
Graffiti and fly tipping to be removed ASAP (please report any areas of concern)
Stock Transfer – consultation to be held within 18 months.
Flats on Redbrook Road to be given higher financial priority.

Questions were then raised by residents:

Stock transfer – is it true that the right to buy is to be stopped or that the amount of discount available will be reduced? Paul to look into this for the next management meeting

Marie Toboni then spoke about the Minor Works bus, which will be looking around areas for improvement. It is vital that we have representatives on the bus this time, as the tenants on the bus prioritise the jobs that need doing. This is happening on Wednesday 13/3/03 from 10.00 – 3.00. Let Marie know if you are interested in attending this.

Paul Huxley mentioned the need for more representation at the Area Housing Panel meetings. The next one is on 19th March at 6.30 at Altrincham Town Hall. Let him know if you wish to attend.

A leaflet was then distributed about the Tenants Repair Group.


ITEM ELEVEN – TRAFFORD NEIGHBOURHOOD PARTNERSHIP REPORT


There was no report as no meeting has been held since our last BCA meeting.


ITEM TWELVE – ANY OTHER BUSINESS


Area Board Meeting – 4/2/03 at Broomwood School – please try to attend.

Community Conference organised by Trafford Partnership to be held at Lancashire Cricket Club on 4/3/03

Kath Yarwood then raised a number of concerns that she has about her property, which was refurbished by IVHA. She passed some photographs around. She has had problems with her front garden, front door, back garden, back door, shed, fencing, decoration, kitchen and toilet. She has sent numerous letters of complaint. Bernice Garlick, Graham Brady and Ann Bowker all replied to her letters. Ed Barber, the Head of Housing at Trafford MBC, Joyce Acton, the Spokesperson for Housing in Trafford and Irwell Valley Housing Association have not replied. She sent the letters to them in October 2002.

She was promised an inspection of her property 12 months after the refurbishment had taken place, yet she has been back in her house for 2 ½ years and has not yet had this inspection.

Alan Bailey from IVHA stated that these complaints were being looked into at present and that Kath should receive a response within seven days of today’s meeting. Marie Toboni from Trafford MBC was unaware of the details of this case but assured Kath that she would chase this up for her. She requested that Kath let her have a copy of the letter that she sent to Ed Barber and Joyce Acton.

Concern was voiced as to how complaints about IVHA are dealt with at BCA meetings. Assurance was given that any complaints would be raised at the open meeting, and that there would only be a one-to-one discussion held separate if both the complainant and IVHA representative agreed this was the way to deal with it. However, we do not appear to be getting many IVHA residents making complaints at the meetings. It was agreed that we should put a note in the next newsletter stating that IVHA representatives are at these meetings if you have any issues to raise. IVHA are also going to be sharing the housing office on Redbrook Road, opening hours for this will also be in the newsletter.

Posters re dog fouling – these have appeared recently on lampposts, but who will be around to enforce this? Tenants can report irresponsible dog owners, and photographic evidence is sufficient. If you confront someone who lets their dog foul and they are abusive you can report them to the police. Report stray dogs to Trafford 2000.

Porches on Redbrook Road – Neil Hammond is the man to contact at Trafford, but these are due to be started any time now.

Meeting closed at 8.05 p.m., date of next meeting is 24 Feb at 6.30.p.m.